Sunday, December 28, 2008

Beers of the Year: 6. Southern Tier Choklat

Brewery: Southern Tier, Lakewood, New York

Style: Imperial Stout

ABV: 11%

Rating: 5 stars

One of the first beers I rated this year, and it set a standard that wasn't easy to match. We must remember, when I started this project, I'd had some great beers, but I wasn't paying attention to the innovation going on. This beer clued me in.

My original synopsis from February 23: "Amazing. Smells, looks and tastes like a thick chocolate milk. With a kick, of course. Unrivaled chocolate flavor. I don't even love chocolate, but I love this beer."

It's true; I don't like chocolate all that much. I don't have a sweet tooth. But an 11% chocolate beer is hard not to appreciate. Southern Tier is the most creative brewery I sampled this year and most of the time their risks pay off. I would recommend this beer even to non-beer drinkers. It may take you an hour and a half to drink, but you'll be feeling great afterward.

No comments: